City of Brampton
Job title: TEMPORARY SCHOOL CROSSING GUARD
Company: City of Brampton
Job description: Job Description
Exciting things are happening at the City of Brampton. Take a look at what employees are working on related to our Term of Council Priorities moving us forward towards The Brampton 2040 Vision.
TEMPORARY SCHOOL CROSSING GUARD
Reporting to the Supervisor, Crossing Guards, this position is responsible to safely escort pedestrians, as defined in the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) across roadways at designated school crossings by monitoring traffic flow gaps and assuming right of way, while adhering to regulations, policies and procedures.
- Control and obey all regulations, policies and procedures to ensure pedestrians are safely assisted at designated school crossings.
- Provide exceptional customer service to the public, ensuring safe crossing rules are communicated clearly, followed and reinforced as required.
- Document and communicate all incidents and/or unsafe conditions to management, school officials and/or Peel Regional Police.
- Adhere to emergency vehicle right of way, ensuring they have priority over both vehicular and pedestrian traffic.
- Comply with all safety requirements by using and wearing all required safety equipment and clothing.
- Assist in training new crossing guards as required.
- Must have the ability to remain alert and perform responsibilities quickly and safely.
- Must have excellent customer service skills and the ability to communicate clearly and effectively with management, pedestrians, residents, school officials and police.
- Must be able to move briskly and repeatedly in and out of intersection and stand for 45 to 90 minutes, 3 times a day in all weather conditions.
- Must be able to extend an arm out parallel to shoulder holding a “STOP” sign (weight of approximately 1 pound) for up to one minute frequently.
- Must be able to effectively hear and see oncoming traffic at a safe distance (approximately 300 feet).
- Previous experience dealing with the public and/or children is an asset.
- Training on the Highway Traffic Act and Health and Safety Act as it relates to the job and City policies and procedures is provided to all School Crossing Guards by the City.
- A Police Vulnerable Sector Check is required at applicant expense.
- A Medical Evaluation is required at applicant expense.
** Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
Job status: Temporary Job Type: Non-Union
Hourly rate: $15.74
Applications must be received by January 29, 2021 Alternate formats will be provided upon request.
As part of the corporation’s Modernizing Job Evaluation project, this position will undergo an evaluation which may result in a change to the rate of compensation. Any changes affecting this position will be communicated as information becomes available.
If this opportunity matches your interest and experience, please apply online by clicking the button above at: www.brampton.ca/employment by January 29, 2021 and complete the attached questionnaire. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate(s) will be required, as a condition of employment, to execute a written employment agreement. A criminal record search will be required of the successful candidate to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
Please be advised, the City of Brampton uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e. testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the Job Competition and your application will be removed from the Competition.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources Division of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
Location: Brampton, ON
Job date: Sun, 09 Aug 2020 22:01:09 GMT