Job title: Senior Electrical Engineer – Electric Vehicle Infrastructure, Advanced Transportation
Job description: Senior Electrical Engineer – Electric Vehicle Infrastructure, Advanced Transportation
6 hours ago
Powertech Labs Inc, BC Hydro’s subsidiary that specializes in energy research, consulting, testing, and systems integration, has been serving power utilities, oil and gas companies, automotive, and electrical utility equipment manufacturers since 1989. We operate as a separate, unregulated, for profit, commercial company. In addition to providing innovative R&D, consulting and testing services to BC Hydro, Powertech provides the majority of its services to a large and diverse array of clients across North America, and around the world. Powertech is located on an 11-acre campus in Surrey, British Columbia and has 200+ employees. Our reach and reputation are global, and we are recognized as a leader in technology, testing, and power systems software. Our location places us close to BC Hydro, 25 kilometers from the US border, and at a gateway between Asian and North American markets. Finally, we are located in one of the most desirable locations on the globe, with all the natural beauty of British Columbia on our doorstep. We call this home.
Powertech’s brand and reputation command a dominant position in the power industry. To better serve our clients, we group our services under six market-orientated sectors: Generation, Transmission and Distribution, Substations, Power Systems, Grid Modernization and Advanced Transportation. Powertech’s competitive advantage is enhanced through close collaboration between all sectors.
The company’s staff consists of professional engineers, scientists, technologists and technicians from a wide range of disciplines. These highly skilled individuals have access to 21 well-equipped, specialized laboratories. Together, the resources allow us to offer a range of forward-looking technology services to help clients advance technology, solve complex problems, and maximize asset performance.
Finally, we are customer-focused: To ensure our customers have high confidence in our services, we attract the best resources, are highly responsive and constantly strive to improve the quality and value of our services.
Powertech has an exciting and challenging opportunity for a Senior Electrical Engineer to join a team of professionals based at Powertech Labs in Surrey, B.C.
The Advanced Transportation business unit supports the reduction of carbon emissions from transportation systems through three teams consisting of the Gas Systems Testing group, Hydrogen Infrastructure group, and Electric Vehicle Infrastructure group.
The Gas Systems Testing group is a global leader in design verification, performance, and certification testing of high-pressure gas components and systems, primarily for the hydrogen and compressed natural gas industries. We offer standardized, customized, and destructive testing services to component manufacturers, Tier 1 & 2 integrators and suppliers, automotive OEMs, regulatory authorities, and aerospace companies around the world.
The Hydrogen Infrastructure group is a technical leader in the design, construction, and operation of compressed hydrogen fueling infrastructure solutions – these include stationary, semi-permanent, and mobile refueling stations, light-weight tube trailers, and station testing and certification equipment. We pioneered the design of turnkey, containerized hydrogen fueling station packages. Other firsts include the world’s first 700 bar “fast-fill” hydrogen refueling station, the first hydrogen station capable of fueling four fuel cell vehicles simultaneously, and the first retail-style dispenser.
The Electric Vehicles Infrastructure (EVI) group is involved in the research, analysis, planning, and advising of charging infrastructure and technologies for battery electric vehicles (EVs). Powertech offers a range of services, including deployment planning and project management, EV charging technology assessment and suitability testing, procurement, fleet conversion planning, grid impact assessment and mitigation, and network management services.
As a Senior Electrical Engineer, under the direction of the EVI team lead, you will work with the EVI team toward project execution that is accurate, on-time, and on-budget. The types of projects include but are not limited to deployment of DC Fast and Ultra-Fast Chargers, operation and maintenance of DCFC chargers, evaluation/assessment/ testing of new charging hardware for performance/reliability and connectivity/interoperability, developing strategical and technical plans for municipalities, utilities, and governments, and research and development. This is a hands-on, client and end-user focused role that will appeal to those passionate about EVs, highly technical, detailed, demanding, and determined.
- Prepare formal project proposals including budgets and schedules
- Prepare equipment procurement specifications: technical and commercial. Detailed review of responses.
- Prepare or review design and installation documentation: technical and commercial
- Lead project execution and manage client relationships, expectations and deliverables
- Conduct forensic studies and recommend solutions to engineering problems of high level complexity
- Conduct technical studies
- Perform detailed research on evolving EV charging technologies
- Act as a decision maker on day to day operations and maintenance oversight of the DCFC network.
- Minimum of 12 years of electrical engineering experience
- Prior experience/knowledge in EV charging deployment
- Deep knowledge of the EV charging eco system
- Prior experience with public and private sector electrical installation design, tendering, construction review
- Degree in Electrical Engineering with focus on Energy Systems/Power Systems
- Registration as a Professional Engineer or ability to register with Engineers and Geoscientists of BC
- Engineer of Record experience with municipal/electrical/transportation projects
- Excellent understanding and experience with the Canadian Electrical Code (Pt. 1, Pt.2 & Pt.3), IEEE guides / color books, BC Hydro design guides, Municipal design guides and specifications
- Passionate and knowledgeable about electric vehicles and other alternate powertrain technologies
- Knowledgeable about energy storage systems, renewable energy and utility demand side management
- Detail-oriented, strong problem-solving skills
- Strong customer service skills including expectation management
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong decision-making capabilities
- Ability to work in a dynamic and collaborative team environment both internally and externally
- Good initiative and aptitude/adaptability
- Ability to perform under high pressure
- Strong multitasking and organizational skills
- Strong soft skills such as relationship management, leadership, and teamwork
Location: Surrey B.C.
Job Status: Full-Time Regular
Compensation & Benefits: Powertech Labs Inc. offers a very comprehensive total rewards package based on a healthy work/life balance.
Close Date: September 30, 2020
Candidates with higher qualifications may be considered for a higher level position.
Please be advised that this role has been assessed as safety sensitive and pre-qualification alcohol and drug testing will be required as a pre-condition to employment.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
To apply and to learn more about Powertech Labs Inc., visit our website at .
Interested in jobs like this?
Sign up for email alerts
About Powertech Labs Inc.
One of the largest testing and research labs in North America, Powertech is home to a broad range of scientists, engineers, and technical specialists from around the world. Our cross-departmental …
Location: Surrey, BC
Job date: Sat, 29 Aug 2020 01:43:14 GMT