Job title: Energy Analyst
Job description: The Yukon Conservation Society (YCS) is one of the oldest environmental non-profit organizations in Canada. Over the past 50 years, YCS has worked with communities, First Nation governments and diverse organizations to achieve many conservation victories in the territory. Our Board, staff and volunteers are experts in their fields – Energy, Mining, Forestry, Wildlife, and Outdoor Education – and are committed to staying on the cutting edge of research and training so that YCS remains a respected voice for the Yukon’s wildlife, land and water
The Yukon Conservation Society (YCS) is seeking a highly motivated and experienced individual to lead our Energy Program. The Energy Analyst must be committed to developing and maintaining positive relationships with First Nations, communities, Yukon government, industry, stakeholders and Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs). Excellent oral and written communication skills are required. The ideal person is an effective networker with a strong environmental ethic, technical background in energy policy and a commitment to community sustainability. The Energy Analyst will work closely with the YCS Energy Committee to realize the vision of the Yukon as a model for the global community in showing how a northern jurisdiction with an isolated electricity grid can achieve carbon neutrality and self-sufficiency by creating economic development opportunities in energy conservation and efficiency, and low impact renewable energy projects.
Hours: 30 hours/week (some flexibility possible)
Wages: $22-26/hr (depending on experience)
Benefits: 3 weeks of vacation, health benefits
Start Date: as soon as possible (ideally, May 1, 2018)
Deadline for applications: April 3, 2018, 5 PM PDT
Applications must include a cover letter and resume and be emailed with the subject line Attention: Search Committee.
While we greatly appreciate your interest in working with us, only those candidates short.listed for an interview will be contacted. Best of luck!
Qualifications and Skills:
- Post-secondary education and/or experience with energy issues;
- Ability to review and comment on technical documents like environmental assessments of proposed projects, legislation, regulations and policies;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Excellent research skills;
- Ability to communicate complex information in plain language in public, meetings, the media, presentations and one on one;
- Ability to organize events, including advertising, media, setting up venues, organizing presenters, etc.;
- Ability to develop and maintain positive relationships with First Nations, communities, government, industry, stakeholders and Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs);
- Ability to maintain productive relationships with people with differing views;
- Willingness to travel within and outside the Yukon. Valid driver’s license required.
- respond to YESAB applications on energy projects
- represent YCS as an Intervener in YUB processes/hearings
- monitor and comment on energy projects, plans and policies
- promote energy efficiency and conservation, and the development of renewable energy sources to reduce the Yukon’s dependence on fossil fuels
- plan, fundraise and coordinate speakers or events to educate the public about renewable energy and efficiency and conservation
- develop public education around energy alternatives, energy conservation/efficiency and waste reduction
- represent YCS at energy-related meetings, conferences, committees and workshops;
- liaise with Yukon utilities and other energy groups in and outside the Yukon
- compose articles, letters to the editor, etc. to educate public about renewable energy and energy conservation
- conduct media interviews about energy- and climate change-related issues
- convene and chair regular meetings of the YCS Energy Committee
- work with YCS staff to ensure consistency in communication and strategy
You must to bookmark this listing.
Apply For job
Upload Resume (optional)
Upload your resume or any other relevant file. Max. file size: 8 MB.
Are you human?
You can apply to this job and others using your online resume. Click the link below to submit your online resume and email your application to this employer.
Expected salary: $22 – 26 per hour
Location: Whitehorse, YT
Job date: Sat, 05 Sep 2020 02:19:21 GMT