Job title: Design Specialist II – Voice Network Services
Job description: Join a world class telephony team in leading the most reliable voice services solutions.
Join our team
The Voice Engineering Design team strives to deliver the best in class voice network quality and reliability for our customers and carrier partners. We are passionate about technology and driving better outcomes through established switching technologies (DMS, GTD5, SS7, and 5ESS) and next generation platforms (C20, IMS, SIP, BroadWorks).
We take pride in everything we do. Continuously improving how we design, build, test and implement translations solutions for both wireline and wireless voice services that deliver the best customer experiences in Canada and globally.
Here’s the impact you’ll make and what we’ll accomplish together
As a Network Translations Engineer, you will provide subject matter expertise on network translations and call routing on our voice network initiatives. Leveraging your leadership and collaborative approach, you will apply and create best practices that optimize our network to deliver superb voice services with the highest reliability performance for our customers.
You will collaborate with a team of experienced, highly motivated and collaborative team members across the nation to drive voice network projects, system initiatives and troubleshoot/resolve network technical problems. Your responsibilities can vary from next generation network evolution, voice service and product development, translations standardization, wireline to wireless voice network interconnection and routing, automation, and end-to-end voice translations support across all voice switching technologies.
- Partner with internal stakeholders and/or external vendors to plan, develop and support an efficient and cost effective logical voice network topology
- Develop Network Translations planning documents-translations project impact assessments, translations standards, bulletins, test plans, processes, project plans to support voice network projects
- Collaborate with the vendor to ensure the support infrastructure is in place for the Network Translations organization – documentation requirements will include maintenance support, vendor documentation, job aids
- Project manage translations activities that can include significant translations design, build and migration activities
- Provide consultation and subject matter expertise to the National Translations team, management team and other TELUS internal stakeholders
- Provide leadership and advocacy around network translation best practices and initiates to influence upstream and downstream partners to ensure all network architecture documents meet program goals and agreed upon deliverables
- Collaborate with internal teams and external vendors to drive network system improvement and automation initiatives
You’re the missing piece of the puzzle
Known for your in-depth knowledge of:
- Legacy switching technologies (DMS, GTD5, SS7, and 5ESS) and Next Generation Platforms (C20, IMS, SIP, BroadWorks)
- Ribbon C20 translations, engineering parameters and peripherals
- Telephony network routing and services (Local, Toll, AIN, Toll-Free, LNP, etc)
- Industry standards and best practices, and change management principles
Sought out for your expertise with:
- VoIP signaling protocols (SIP, H248, MGCP, etc) and Session Border Controller
- VoIP Troubleshooting Tools (Brix, Iris, Wire Shark, etc)
- Respected as an exceptional communicator, trusted partner and collaborator with a strong customer focus who motivate and influence a diverse group of internal and external stakeholders
- Valued for your troubleshooting, analytical thinking and problem solving skills
- Skilled at successfully planning, documenting and implementing technical projects and initiatives
- Acknowledged as a mentor to other team members who supports their development and celebrates their achievements
- Sought out for your 10 or more years of experience in the telephony industry working and supporting telephony platforms and VoIP technology (including expertise with Nortel/Genband technologies)
- Bachelor degree in Electrical or Computer Engineering or related discipline
- Knowledge of North American Dial Plan, Canadian Telecommunications Regulations and Tariffs, Local
- Network Interconnections and inter-carrier interconnections
- Basic scripting and programming skills (Python, VBA, Tcl, etc) and knowledge of Network Management Protocols Knowledgeable of project management fundamentals
- Business and financial management experience such as developing project scope estimate, performing cost benefit analysis and ensuring project governance compliance
- System integration experience with large-scale network deployments and network services
Who is TELUS?
We’re a high-performing team of individuals who collectively make TELUS one of the leading telecommunications companies in Canada. Our competitive consumer offerings include wireline, wireless, internet and Optik TV™. We also deliver a compelling range of products and services for small, medium and large businesses; and have carved out a leadership position in the health, energy, finance and public sector markets with innovative industry specific solutions.
Everyone belongs at TELUS. It doesn’t matter who you are, what you do or how you do it, at TELUS, your unique contribution and talents will be valued and respected. Because the more diverse perspectives we have the more likely we are to crack the code on what our customers want and our communities need.
Do you share our passion?
At TELUS, you create future friendly® possibilities.
At TELUS, we are committed to diversity and equitable access to employment opportunities based on ability.
Location: Calgary, AB – Vancouver, BC
Job date: Sun, 06 Sep 2020 04:36:36 GMT