Town of Oakville
Job title: Building Inspector I
Company: Town of Oakville
Job description: Job Details:
Full Time CUPE 1329
Open to all current Town of Oakville employees and external applicants.
Note: Should a fully qualified candidate not be found from the applicant pool, consideration may be given to applicants who do not possess the Building Structural, Building Services or Large Buildings Ministry examination and qualification requirements or previous experience inspecting Part 3 buildings outlined in the qualifications below. In such a case, the position may be filled as a Building Inspector II at Pay Grade 11 (salary range $74,914 – $91,355 per annum).
Reporting to the Manager of Building Inspections, the Building Inspector I will:
- Review and inspect the structural, architectural and life safety components of Part 9 and Part 3 buildings to ensure conformance with the Ontario Building Code and related standards.
- Ensure that the professionals undertaking general review of construction, where required by code, do so in accordance with legislated standards.
- Ensure compliance with local by-laws and Provincial codes, through oral and written communications.
- Produce legible, concise, complete, and accurate reports; maintain a record of field inspections
- Liaise with property owners, contractors, engineers, architects and other departments on matters related to construction activity.
- Investigate and respond to complaints from the public relating to the Ontario Building Code
- Prepare and issue legal documents and attend court in legal proceedings.
- Monitor an assigned area for building construction and/or alterations without a permit.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Successful completion of a post-secondary diploma or degree in Architectural Technology, Construction Engineering Technology or related field combined with a minimum of 2 years experience as a Municipal Building Inspector on Part 9 and Part 3 buildings or 5 years general construction inspection of Part 9 and Part 3 buildings from an engineer’s or architect’s office with an in-depth knowledge of the Ontario Building Code. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Successful completion of General Legal/Process or CBO Legal Examination administered by the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing and shall be qualified under the Building Code Act in the following categories: Small Buildings; Building Structural; Building Services; Large or Complex Buildings.
- Registration with A.A.T.O., O.A.C.E.T.T. or O.B.O.A. is an asset.
- Excellent organizational, verbal, written and interpersonal skills are essential as well as the ability to deal effectively with the public.
- Travel to a variety of sites is required. The successful candidate will be required to supply their own personal vehicle for performing job duties/corporate business.
- Successful candidates, who are new hires and/or who have not performed in this position previously will be required to provide a satisfactory criminal record check dated within the last 30 days as a condition of employment.
Applications for this position must be received at oakville.ca in the current opportunities section no later than midnight on July 12, 2020.
Dated: June 26, 2020
This job profile reflects the general requirements necessary to perform the principal functions of the job. This does not include all of the work requirements of the job. Applicants are required to demonstrate through their application and in the interview process that their qualifications match those specified. The minimum threshold score for the interview is 75%.
Location: Oakville, ON
Job date: Sun, 28 Jun 2020 22:27:15 GMT